The Henry Curtains

In March of 1903, artist Charles W. Henry was hired to paint a theater curtain for the opera house. The cost was $162 and was painted with tempera paint on a cotton canvas.

A restoration of the two curtains that Henry painted was undertaken in the 1980’s. In October of 2003, another restoration of the curtains was completed under the direction of Christine Hadsel of the Vermont Painted Curtain Project.

Main curtain & street scene